Keeping you informed

We've answered some popular questions military people often ask when moving into their new home. The Pinnacle website has a comprehensive suite of guidance and support to help you settle in to your home.

How do I book a repair?

What is Amey responsible for?

What is Pinnacle responsible for?

How do Pinnacle and Amey keep in touch?

What happens if there's an emergency in my home?

How do I prevent mould and mildew?

How do i prepare for an appointment

You can also seek independent advice through your:

  • local service welfare organisations
  • Unit Welfare Officer
  • RAF Community Support Officer or Unit Families Officer
  • Families Federations representatives
  • HIVE

Alternatively, there are civilian organisations such as Citizens Advice Bureau, service charities or housing advice centres who can help.