Utility bills

You are responsible for paying all bills while you live in your Service Family Accommodation (SFA).

Who is our standard energy supplier?

We have an agreement with Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) to supply energy to all void (empty) properties under our management.

When you move in, we will inform SSE the property is now occupied and our account with SSE for the property will be closed.

Setting up a gas and electricity supplier

When you move into a new home, you will need to contact SSE with your meter readings to set up an account in your name. If you find that the property is not supplied by SSE, you will need to contact the National Grid on 0870 608 1524. They will inform you who your utility supplier is.

Smart Meter installation

Occupants are currently entitled to request their utility providers to install smart meters as part of their contract with their utility provider. There is a national programme to install smart meters in all applicable domestic properties by the end of 2020.

Currently, smart meters can’t be switched automatically between providers, however, this doesn’t prevent smart meter installation as it can be set to ‘dumb’ status if a new provider is appointed. Meaning that the smart meter will read in the same way as a standard heritage meter.

We are currently working with our industry partner SSE to install smart meters throughout the void estate. SSE will also be working independently with their current customers to install at occupancy.

Meter readings

When you move in to a new home, your Accommodation Officer will take gas and electricity meter readings with you. These will be recorded on your Occupancy Form, Which you will be asked to sign at the end of your move-in appointment. These readings should be given to SSE or other supplier to set up your account, once you have done this you are free to transfer your energy supply to any energy provider.

Closing your current energy supplier

It is your responsibility to inform your chosen energy supplier that you are moving. On your move out date you will need to telephone them with your final meter readings (taken with the Accommodation Officer), and provide a forwarding address for them to send your final bill to.

Ministry of Defence (MOD) fuel-supplied properties

If your property falls under an MOD fuel supply, you will be billed by the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) recoveries team, not by an energy supplier.

You will be billed either by recovery voucher, or by regular deductions from pay (Budget Account scheme).

For more information about fuel recoveries, email: DIOSDEUS-EnRecoveries@mod.gov.uk

Please note: the MOD may not supply all of your energy – they may only supply either your gas, or your electricity. For example, the MOD may supply your electricity, but you may need to use a public gas supply (in which case, you would need to arrange your own gas supplier and pay bills directly to them).

Fuel Subsidy Scheme

Some properties with exceptionally large energy bills receive help with these via the DIO Fuel Subsidy Scheme. If you are entitled to a fuel subsidy, DIO will pay your bills and recover a fixed monthly amount from your pay (fuel and light charges). An annual check will be made to make sure you have not overpaid.

For more information about the Fuel Subsidy Scheme team, email: DIOSDEUS-EnPaymentFSS@mod.gov.uk

Single-living accommodation

If you are living in SFA as single or married unaccompanied occupant (by Virtue of Appointment), your energy bills will be paid by DIO, and you will pay single-living accommodation charges.

If you receive any energy bills or warning letters, please forward these to the following address:

The Billing Unit, Defence Infrastructure Organisation, Mail point F1, 1st Floor Bldg 49, Kingston Rd, Sutton Coldfield. B75 7RL

For more information about energy bills in single-living accommodation, email: DIOSDEUS-EnBillings@.mod.gov.uk

Utility bills

If you receive any gas or electricity bills/letters relating to the period before you moved in, please pass them to your Accommodation Officer, Local Customer Service Centre Advisor, or send them to:

Utilities Management Team, Swales Pavilion, RAF Wyton, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. PE28 2EA Email: UtilitiesManagement@ameydefenceservices.co.uk