Applying for SFA

If you’re eligible for Service Family Accommodation (SFA) and want to apply for a Service family home, you need to complete an application using the e-1132 application system available on the Defence Intranet.

You must make your application on a MOD secure web connection, to protect your information.

If you need us to make any special considerations or medical adaptations, please make sure you let us know on your application.

When you submit your application, the e-1132 system will show you any available properties that match your entitlement and can be prepared in time for your required moving date. NB: To access the e-1132 system, please copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar when logged on to the Defence Intranet:
For security protection reasons, the e-1132 will NOT work on the Internet.

If you’re deployed or on operations

Personnel deployed on operations or without access to the Defence Intranet can submit a paper MOD Form 1132. For further information, please see Joint Service Publication (JSP) 464.

Your preferences

The e-1132 application system will display basic information about the properties available, including a floor plan and photographs (if these are available).

You can then review the properties and express a preference for up to three of them.

Once you have selected and submitted your preferences, you will receive confirmation of your selections both on screen and by email. Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee that you will be offered/allocated the property or properties that you selected.

Making you an offer

We’ll review the preferences you have selected and make you a formal offer within 15 working days. You can view your offer on the Defence Intranet system. Once you have received your offer, you have 10 working days to accept or reject it online, using the Defence Intranet system.

Accepting your offer

If you accept your offer, you will be able to view a copy of your Licence to Occupy and agree it on screen straight away. You are then ready to book your move-in appointment, and your pre-move-out meeting and assessment, if you’re moving from another Service family home.

Rejecting your offer

If you’re not happy with the house we offer you, you can reject the offer, and we’ll see if there are any other houses for you that match the criteria. If there’s another suitable house available, we’ll make you a second offer within 15 working days. If not, we may have to offer you the same house. Please be aware that you are not likely to be granted permission to retain your SFA at your old duty station.

Second offer reviews

You are encouraged to accept the second offer we make to you. However, if you have exceptional personal reasons for turning your second offer down, you can request a review of your case. To request a review of your case, you must complete the second offer review form, which will accompany your formal second offer. You have four working days from the day you receive your second offer to make an application for a second offer review. You can view the status of your application at any time by logging into the secure Defence Intranet system.  

New or changing requirements

Are your circumstances changing? For example, are you:  

  • being assigned, and you have your assignment order/date;
  • getting married; or
  • expecting another child?

If you already live in UK SFA and have received your Assignment Order, you should complete MOD Form e1132 within 14 days of receiving it. Our Occupancy Services team will be automatically notified once the form has been submitted.

What happens if there aren’t any Service family homes available in the area you are moving to?

If this happens, we’ll issue you with a Non Availability Certificate (NAC). You’ll then need to email the DIO Accn Substitute Service Family Accommodation (SSFA) Helpdesk:

Loss of entitlement

If you’ve lost entitlement to SFA through retirement, redundancy or estrangement and would like to discuss any queries you may have, please contact the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) using the following contact details:

If you believe that you will lose entitlement to SFA in the future, or find yourself in this situation, advice is available from a variety of sources. As well as the Joint Service Housing Advice Office, other sources of information and advice are: service charities; families’ federations; housing advice centres; and local authorities.