Emergencies at home
Make sure you and your family are safe in an emergency.
If there is a fire in your home:
- Make sure everyone leaves the property straight away and gathers a safe distance from the building
- If it’s safe to do so, close internal doors on your way out. This will help slow the progress of fire and spread of smoke
- Don’t attempt to put out the fire yourself, unless you can do so quickly and safely
- Dial 999 as soon as possible, and if your accommodation is behind the wire, please follow local station orders
Once the emergency services have been informed, and you and your family are safe, contact our Customer Service Centre. The team will provide you and your family with advice and support and, if necessary, find you alternative accommodation.
If there is a major water leak in your home:
- Turn off the water supply at the main stopcock (this may be located under the sink in the kitchen, in the bathroom, hall or under the stairs)
- Once the main water supply has been switched off, drain the system by turning on all the taps
- If the leak is affecting the electrical system, turn off the electricity supply at the main fuse box
- Contact our Customer Service Centre to report the leak and get further information about what to do next
If you smell gas inside or outside your home, if you suspect you have a gas leak or you think carbon monoxide may be coming from a gas appliance in your home, please call the Gas Emergency Services line free on 0800 111 999 (24/7 emergency line).
Take the following steps immediately:
- Put out any naked flames Open all doors and windows to let air into your home
- Do not switch any electrical items on or off – leave all switches in your house alone
- Do not light a match, use a lighter, smoke, or do anything that may cause a flame to ignite
- Evacuate your home and call the Gas Emergency Services: 0800 111 999
Once you have done all of the above, please let us know what has happened by contacting our Customer Service Centre. The team will provide you with advice and support and, if necessary, find you alternative accommodation.